7/13/09

A book about pop culture...that I'm advicating via pop culture

I'll do a longer post later, but for now I'll just put in a few quotes that I love from Ray Bradbury's Farenheit 451.
"Books were only one type of receptacle where we stored a lot of things we were afraid we might forget. There is nothing magical in them at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us. " (82-83)
"We are living in a time when flowers are trying to love on flowers, instead of growing on good rain and black loam. Even fireworks, for all their prettiness, come from the chemistry of the earth. Yet somehow we think we can grow, feeding on flowers and fireworks, without completeing the cycle back to reality." (83).
"It tells you what to think and blasts it in. It must be right. It seems so right. It rushes you on so quickly to its own conclusions your mind hasn't time to protest, 'What nonsense!'" (84).
"Books can be beaten down with reason. But with all my knowledge and skepticism, I have never been able to argue with a one-hundred-piece symphony orchestra, full color, three dimensions, and being in and part of those incredible parlors" (84).
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore" (86).
"Those who don't build must burn. It's as old as history and juvenile delinquents" (89).
"You're afraid of making mistakes. Don't be. Mistakes can be profited by. Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ingorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn" (104).
I'll write more and explain later! Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment