8/13/09

sides of the same coin

So I had 2 other things I wanted to write about from warped tour that don't directly relate, but caught my attention there. I like faces. I like people watching. I notice a lot of things in people that others don't. I like to understand people. So being smashed in pits trying to stare at peoples faces is a little hard, but I accomplished it. Some people just catch your eye. Like for that brief second you see their soul and its a beautiful moment. That happened twice at warped and each experience suprised me. Both of these kids were boys around 14-15. Our eyes glued for a second and then we looked away, but we kept looking back. There was this moment where we saw, SAW, each other. These 2 boys had very contrasting faces. I know nothing about them, but I would like to draw some conclusions. The first boy looked lost. He was standing on the edge of a pit watching the hardcore dancers and he had this look of disgust and confusion. He looked like he was going to say "I thought I knew. I thought I knew everything, but I don't". He just looked so lost and I wanted to tell him that everything would be okay. I have been there and I know how it feels to just be lost. There is a point in everyones life where no matter how hard they try they can't seem to get their footing and are just swept into the sea of confusion. This kid made me sad because I could do nothing to help him. No one really can. A lot of people find their footing at that point in time through music, I know I did and a lot of my friends did, and we were at warped tour. If he was going to find his footing it was going to be here, but he was so lost. I could just see the pain in his eyes. This was completely contrasted with the other boy. To tell you the truth they could've been the same person, they were the same age and I don't really have an eye for facial detail, but his expression was polar opposite. He was standing in a crowd listening to some band (can't remember which) and his eyes were full of hope. He had found himself. He knew which way was up and he was headed for it. I just remember looking at him and thinking hope, Hope is what he has found. Thats why I have always wanted to be in the music business because it connects people. It makes people realize they are not alone in this struggle. I wanted to run up and hug him and tell him congratulations, good for you, you found what people are constantly losing. Especially these days. You could tell that he was at perfect peace. He was seeing perhaps one of his favorite bands, singing along with a crowd of people, screaming the words that made him feel alright again and realizing that those people that surrounded him felt exactly the same way. (I'll write on this more in another blog). But these boys they were the opposites of the same coin. One was lost and one was found. The two most moving feelings in the world. I don't know if I will ever be able to work in music, but I hope that someday I help people find themselves. Help people connect and realize they're not alone, they're not lost. You've been found.

No comments:

Post a Comment