12/14/09

Amanda's Lifetime Movie Part I

Ok so lets admit it, we all secretly love those cheesy Christmas Lifetime movies that seem to clog the television this time of year. I will admit it, I love them. My mother is open about her addictiona decided that we must watch a new one pretty much every day. So after watching all these happy moments I am forced to go to work, where everyone is far from happy. So what do I do? I concoct a Lifetime movie for myself in my head. And thats what this is for! This is the first part of my lifetime movie. None of this is real or even very plausable, but it's a Lifetime movie! Lets just Believe. (On a related note I have now decided that by the time I'm 30 I want to have a lifetime movie made after one of my stories.) So lets get this thing started. I am a novelist, not a screen writer so this will be in short story form.

Amand leaned onto the counter with her chin in her hands. It was another boring day at the Bead Barn, a 2nd rate craft store that housed nothing more than the hearts desire of every angry 90 year old women and screaming child in a 50 mile radius. Angry customers came from miles around to buy craft supplies and yell at Amanda. She was nothing special, just another pudgy brunette who was trying to work and save money for college. She was 20 years old and yet felt like she should be celebrating her over the hill birthday. It was all down hill from here. Amanda had been working at the Bead Barn for 3 years on and off. Half of each year she went to school in Idaho and the other half she spent as a cashier slave for the masses in Southern California. Customers were constantly asking if she was new or trying to tell her how to do her job. It was begining to get on her nerves. She glanced over at the calendar, only 12 days till Christmas. Her last day of work was Christmas Eve and she could not wait to get out of there. She greeted another half dozen customers as they either sneered in reply or continued to talk on their cellphones with no acknowledgment of her. She checked her phone, 1:30. Where was Ally? She was supposed to go on her lunch! She waited another 10 minutes and she finally meandered out.
"Sorry I was talking to boss" Ally said coming up with an excuse for once in her life.
"Whatever" Amanda said and headed back to clock out and sit down and eat the apple and protein bar she'd brought for lunch. She was bored when she went on her lunch, but it was better than being bored and being yelled at out front. After 30 boring and uneventful minutes she dragged herself out front. She didn't really feel like going back to the register so she decided she'd wander around the store helping customers before Ally found her and relocked the shackle around her leg. After pointing a few customers to the bead aisle, showing a lady she was standing right in front of the knitting needles and directing about 20 people to aisle 1 for glue she saw something that did not happen very often. 1. There was a boy in the store. 2. He was not an old married man, but appeared to be around 21. and 3. He was CUTE! He looked a little lost so Amanda took the oppurtunity to use her excellent customer assistance. "Can I help you find anything sir?"
"Uhh yeah! Don't call me sir though, my name is Marcus" he said shaking her hand.
Amanda was a little aw struck. He wasn't just adorable, but nice and considerate. She had never shaked the hand of a customer. Not many of them treated her like a human at all. He had thick wavy hair that was smashed down but looked like it would much prefer to go in every direction. He had mossy green eyes and olive skin. He was wearing a navy blue peacoat with a pair of grey skinny jeans and slip on black vans. He was also wearing a thin scarf, which made Amanda chuckle that he was wearing a scarf when it was 50 degrees and she faced -10 weather on a regular basis in Idaho. "My name is Amanda" she said pointing to her nametag. "What can I help you find?"

No comments:

Post a Comment