9/5/09

Music that changed my life.

You glance up from your table and your eyes meet across the room and you're not quite sure how or why but this spark is ignited. And you listen to them for hours and think about what they said as you fall asleep and you wonder if anyone could be more wonderful! And they teach you about life and they show you things you never thought you would see and you begin to experience something that is so much more than what you thought love was. And you end up buying all their cds and wearing their t-shirts and you just can't seem to get your mind off them. But as time rolls on something new comes along, that you don't love like you loved that other one, but it catches your eye and you pursue it and time rolls on and on, but you still look back at that golden summer. That year when everything revolved around you and that relationship. When music was new and exciting and you found that one band that meant the world to you.

....Ok so if you didn't understand that I'm talking about THAT band. You know? the band that you stumbled on before you SUPER got into music and they changed everything you thought? The band that when people ask you what your favorite band is you always have in the top 3, or you feel guilty if you don't say them. That band is your first love. The band that made you love music for specific reasons.
Who is that band for me? Brand New. I remember SPECIFICALLY! the first time I heard them. Sitting on the floor cutting pictures out of magazines and watchin MTV or VH1 or something and there he was Jesse Lacey in their video of "The Quiet Things no one ever knows". I remember grabbing the remote and watching the same video about 15-20 times. Just over and over. The song was playing through my head all night. It was if Jesse had reached out of the t.v. and zapped me with his finger and said "Hello, you will love us till the day you die. Now, follow us to your grave" and you want to know what? I would've said OKAY! I had no idea what that song meant (some days I still don't) and I had no idea that their songs and lyrics would end up changing the way I viewed the world, but they came into my life right at that moment when I needed them most. I had no idea but I was looking down the tunnel to some of the worst days of my life and Brand New was there to help me. Could you imagine if some other video had played? snoop dogg or Nick Carter? Who would I be? So much of who I am has come from the experiences Brand New has given me and the outlook on life they have influenced me into.
So if anyone reads this and has a band that changed their life let me know. Sometimes I think I'm alone in this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. I'm pretty sure Something Corporate was that for Kristie.

No comments:

Post a Comment