7/31/10

Something new to work on!

Okay, so I am a writer by nature which means I write 1 paragraph to 3 pages of a story and then get bored. So I've got 4 possible stories to work on and I want to know your position on it!
I'll give you a snippet of each one and you tell me which one you want me to write. Sound like a plan?
Option 1: Matt woke up to the sound of his Watch speaking. Of course it was more than the simple watches we strap to our wrists. Matt’s Watch did much more than tell time. It sent messages, played games, gave directions, opened doors, cooked meals, played music and much more. Matt rolled over to stare at his Watch. The night of partying had left him too tired to lift his head. Once his watch had scanned his pupil it began to read the message.
“Good morning Mr. Matthew Nordwind,” A very official and loud voice read off. “As you know our society runs on a simple system that allows our citizens to enjoy their leisure rather than slave to run an over complicated society. Today is your one day of work for this year. Please report to the deployment bay of your residence by 9 am sharp. Remember without your service we would not be able to function. Thank you”
With that the bright white light faded on Matt’s Watch. He wanted to just roll over and sleep off the night before, but he knew he should get up. He managed to mumble out “Watch, time?”
A chipper voice called back “8:45 am sir”.
“Mer…”
“Would you like me to prepare the cleaner?”
“Yes…” Matt said as he pulled himself out of bed and stumbled over to the corner of his room that had a curtain drawn around it. “And Watch? Toss in some energy on this one”.
“2 doses of energy and a cleaning, prepared sir”.
As Matt stepped behind the curtain he felt a swift current of air moving over his skin. It went through his clothes and tickled a bit as it went. He knew the way the machine worked was that tiny particles flew over his body and removed all dead skin cells and cleaned his skin to perfection. These particles were mixed with another combination of chemicals that would absorb into his skin leaving him feeling awake and alert. In these few seconds he went over the information in his head his whole body had been cleaned. Now all he had to do was pick out clothes.
“Watch, pick out an outfit appropriate for today” he said stripping off his pajama shirt and pants. In the time it took him to untangle his legs from his pants a set of hangers were thrust into the cleaner. “Thank you Watch”.
“It is my function sir. Would you like me to start a morning meal for you?’
Matt pulled on the black v neck shirt and jeans the closet had provided him with. “No I’ll just grab an energy bar on my way out” he said zipping up the gray sweatshirt. He stepped out to find a pair of sneakers placed directly in front of him. He stepped into them and they laced themselves up. He grabbed his Watch off the bed stand and stopped in front of the mirror.
He looked himself in his blue eyes. His eyes, themselves, were clear, but around them was all saggy and dark from countless nights of partying. He ran his hands through his brown hair, blinked twice, and galloped down the stairs.
“Good morning Matt!” his kid brother Andrew called as he heard the thump of Matt’s 6’2” frame thrown full force down the stairs.
“Good morning Andy! Guess where I am going this morning?”
“Work?”
“How’d you know?”
“Your Watch is still set on high from the party last night. I bet the neighbors even heard!”
“Well what are you going to do today?” Matt said grabbing a bite of Andrew’s morning cereal.
“I don’t know, I guess go hang out with my friends. We don’t have our next update on the software till next week so probably go down town”.
“Someday you’ll have it all little brother!” Matt said opening the cupboard and finding the box of nutrition bars. “Well gotta run! See you tonight!” With that Matt walked out to the deployment bay and waited. 1 minute early. Matthew had perfected the art of being early but never too early over years of worrying. He took another glance at himself in the mirror. “Today is the first day of the rest of your life buddy!” Matt said to no one but himself. He had just received the last informational software update he would need for his whole life. This would be the equivalent of someone in our time graduating college. He was ready to get the rest of his life started. As the deployment bay door opened a bolt of bright sunlight shot off the window and directly into his eyes. He walked towards it expecting absolutely nothing.
As he approached the vehicle he noticed that there was no one in it. He had heard about the self drivers, but had never seen one. It was rare he was awake at this hour anyways. As he got in the back seat he saw the screen. “Welcome to your work day!” a chipper woman in a dress suit said on the screen. “Matthew Rosevelt Nordwind, we have received identity confirmation from your Watch and now will procede to the work station. Remember, you will have your memory erased up to the point of entering the station simply so you don’t have to remember the work. Good luck!”
The vehicle pulled up to the local work station and Matt looked out the window. He saw someone he had never seen before. He lived in a small town so he knew almost everyone. How could this girl have escaped him? She was probably just a little below his height with brown hair in a bob that framed her face. Even from 200 hundred yards away Matthew could see her piercing green eyes. She shook her head and her hair fell into place she had porcelain skin over the most delicate of cheek bones. She was wearing a pair of black jeans that looked like they had been specially made for her, as well as a white linen shirt that clung and draped in all the right places. It reached almost down to her mid thigh but she had a cropped leather jacket.
Matthew stared as she entered the work station and ignored the beeping of the vehicle. He knew he needed to get out, but in the presence of this beauty he was having trouble enough breathing let alone moving. He managed to put his feet on the ground outside the vehicle, but only after the door had swung close behind her. He walked the few feet to the door and
– blank –
Option 2:How do you get someone out of your mind and heart that doesn’t know they’re there in the first place? How do you tell someone you’re mad at them because you’re so much more emotionally attatched to them and they had no idea?
I don’t remember the first time I saw Paul. I’m not going to lie and tell you that the first second I saw him I knew how our story would end. I have no idea what day it was, what I was wearing let alone what he was wearing. But I do remember the moment that it hit me. I remember every detail of that night and I know it changed things.
Option 3: I’m sure you’ve all heard the stories of a man leaving his girl for his band. But I don’t think you’ve heard this story yet. This is my story. The story of Matthew and I. Lets set this thing up. I loved him. I loved him since the first time I met him when we were 15 and he kissed my cheek. I was lost in love. Sure my love changed as we grew up. I told him countless times that I was in love with him and he didn’t feel the same. Instead of freaking out and leaving me there he was always my best friend. I couldn’t let go of him. When we were 21 I decided it was time for me to move on. I wasn’t making any progress on the front there, but I was making progress in my music. I packed up my van, got my best friend to come along and we started out on the journey of a life time. A journey into the great unknown that would take us to the moon and back.
Option 4: I’ve tried to write this story a thousand times. Every time I’ve tried I’ve added something, some glimmer of hope for whatever alias I gave myself this time. I always tried to recreate myself in these stories, rewrite what I did, who I am. They never came out right. They never came out right because the way I told it never was right. So here I am. I’m barring my soul to the world. I’m going to tell it all. Tell it all from the beginning.
It was the summer I turned 15. That was the summer after my heart got broken. But that’s a completely different story, lets just leave it at I was crushed. I was a former shell of the once loving, trusting girl I had once been. I became embittered and lost all hope in my self. That was October through June. In July is where our story begins.
Every year of high school I went to church camp. It was what I looked forward to all year round. That year I was there with my best friend Karen and we’d both developed crushes on guys over the week. She was solely devoted to a boy named Clint and I had decided Sam was my one true love. That last night, the big dance, we decided was the perfect time to confess our undying love. Needless to say we both had our hearts broken. We sat outside that dance completely shattered. It wasn’t easy for me to deal with it because I was so fragile. I was a baby phoenix rising from those ashes and was stepped on by a giant shoe. Karen was pretty broken too and so there we sat. We sat outside a room full of music and heat and our new friends and pitied ourselves.
Enter you.

No comments:

Post a Comment